Chronic Disease Self-Management Program

Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital’s Chronic Disease Self-Management Program (CDSMP), Taking Control of Your Health (Tomando Control De Su Salud), has been recognized by the Washington Health Alliance  wahealthalliance.org The overall goal of Memorial’s CDSMP program is to build self-confidence in maintaining and managing one’s own health and chronic disease condition.

Results of the program include an 18 percent decrease in overall outpatient visits and 28 percent decrease in overall emergency department visits to Memorial.  Participants also reported a 46 percent increase in how they exercised each week and a 25 percent improvement in daily fruit and vegetable consumption.

The CDSMP classes are offered for six weeks.  To date an average of ten English classes and seven Spanish classes are held each year. Curriculum highlights include topics on managing pain, disease self-management, nutrition, exercise and realistic goal setting.

 

Leave a Reply